Wednesday, February 15, 2006

From my notepad

Yes, I was silent again. Why? Well, I was doing something. Like always I am back to share what kept me mum- Vancouver
No matter how many times I see snow sprinkled peaks, I can never seem to take them as a regular site. Vancouver, ah! one of the most picturesque (or however it is spelt) cities ever created. Somehow, the seamless mix of Franglais or Frenglish seems to flow through the city as easily as its gazillion streams, wiff around as cool as the breeze. The downtown is yeah, filled with the usual tall rise (raise?) buildings, the hustle-bustle of general crowd running towards a bus or avoiding a car, black laptop bags, women doning now a la mode scarves, high boots..the usual. But when one goes downhill towards work to the office located on the 30th floor against a background of clear blue skies, fresh snow powdering the mountain peaks..it definitely doesn't seem stressful at all. It was a rare sight to see: the blue skies merge gracefully that made me suddenly think that I was in one of those dome like display objects. I was waiting for this giant to come and shake things up and then I would see snow flakes..which would eventually settle.
City public transportation is extremely convenient. People walk around a lot ("not too far, just couple of kms away, you can walk" is what I heard many times), Starbucks don't lid their coffee (careful, butterfingers), public transportation needs exact change in cash, skiing and snowboarding resort is accessible by public transportation and is just 30 mins away from downtown, local newspapers provide top 3 in categories far beyond my imagination (top 3 doctors?), Grouse mountain charges CND$30 just for a general lift, Capilone Suspension bridge charges another CND$25. If you are like me, take the Lynn Canyon providing almost the same experience,cheaper..err..basically no charge :). Otherwise, the city is filled with parks and museums and tons of places to eat.
End of scribbling

No comments: