Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spontaneity

Spontaneous?Not me. I am a planner. I make lists, lists of lists and enjoy the feeling of crossing them out when they are done. But I am beginning to realize that I see the world as squares while everyone enjoys things in all sorts of shapes and forms.
Ever wondered how some people can be so spontaneous. They don't seem to care what the people around them would think of them, what they would say/how they would react. I love such spontaneous people. They add that spice to live. They seem to live the moment, breathe life into boring monotony, bring sunshine and smiles into any place they stop by. They seem to enjoy life. Being this list maker, I fear I wouldn't have fun stories to share with my grandchildren(yes, I think about such things). I feel guilty for running through each day just doing what is required before hitting the bed and calling it a night. It is not that I don't get ideas that can bring a smile on people's face and make my day happier. I am still wondering what is that "thing" that is stopping me.

I was talking about this to a friend and I'm slowly realizing there are two kinds of spontaneity. I would classify them as 'long term' and 'short term' or 'tactical' and 'strategic'. Spontaneous action that would yield happiness in long run (job, career decision, school, girlfriend) being strategic. Things like unplanned picnic, dancing during the day like no one is watching, singing out loud, long drives, hanging out being tactical.

There is more to say, but I lost my train of thought/inspiration. Will come back and pen them down when they hit me. To summarize, I am thinking tactical spontaneity brings more smiles everyday. Would you agree?

No comments: