Friday, April 08, 2005

and some days...

I have been trying to get my driver's licence since about a week now. I started out on a venture on Wednesday morning. We booked a car with a car rental agency and waited for them to come and pick us up early wednesday morning. As luck would have it, they "couldn't see" our reservation. After a good wait of about 1 hour, we got a ride to the rental agency and to our horror, she showed us a Grand AM(!) to drive. Consolation=you have to pay only for a compact...errr.little did she know how good I am at driving a car as small as a citroen itself! We vigorously shook our heads against taking that and offered to wait for sometime.
The wait delayed on another 20 mins after which she found us a Chevy Malibu, but somewhere else and offered to drive us to that spot to pick it up. Meanwhile, one of my smart friends called up the driving licence office and found out that there were no slots for test. Dejected, we came back home. A bright idea struck me and with the help of my friend, I managed to reach another licence office in `h the afternoon. After a good wait of 1.5 hours, milady licence testing officer showed up after lunch. To cut short the description of my test..I failed. Actually, that is the longest description that I can give about my exam. I am probably the fatest person to fail in the history of driving licence test takers! But hey, blame that lady. She doesn't even smile, For Heaven's sake! and she talks to me as though I am a convict who needs to be straightened! How else can a frightened soul perform then?
It took me 24 hours to pick up threads of life again and venture out on another tryst to get my licence. Well, this time the story is longer. We drove out further away, hoping to get as far as we took from grumpy, stern, unfriendly licence test officers. We landed in a quaint little town of Navasota. I was thrilled as the office seemed empty, it was a bright friday morning, early 8.00 a.m, coffee smelt fresh and everything was crisp and clear. My spirits arose at the thought of being able to go back home as a licensed driver. My cheerful spirit began to rub off on the workers in that officers. I had a very interesting conversation about the remedies for weak hair, natural conditioners and shampoos, mom's recipe for a healthy hair with a jolly, plump lady sitting at one of the counters. She was filled with awe at the extent to which women take hair care seriously in India. I couldn't stop myself and went on with the description of shoeflowers, hibiscus(well, they are the same, aren't they?), gooseberries, lime, tamarind, took trouble to explain shikakai and the whole kit of hair care to this lady. Time slowly ticked and reached 9.30. I was getting impatient as the office was supposed to open at 9.00, but continued to talk to this curious woman in that quiet town. 9.45, slowly the door opens, another beaming lady in bright colors. She is all smiles, well, she would be. Infact, she should have been laughing at a fool like me. The computers were down! No test that day at that Center! You think I should have called and then gone? No, the trick is that that office is open ONLY on Fridays and we have to come in for appointments. Now you think I don't live in the US itself!!! Hell, no! I live in Texas!
But guess what? My hair care lady wouldn't see me this disappointed in life. She quickly gives me directions to reach Bryan DPS, painfully detailing every little road en route. If only I could have said "I AM FROM THERE, LADY!!!!". Ok, breathe , breathe..calmed myself down and quickly rushed to the DPS at Bryan.
Now, you must know the reputation of this (in)famous DPS. NO ONE, I repeat , No One gets a licence at the first try. You simply CANNOT drive right the first time with this office. YOU are a "dangerous" driver and that is why your licence is refused..as many as 6 times(I am not kidding, please ask the resident of #53). If not for his driving skill, this guy deserves a licence atleast for his persistence. Okay, safe driving is important. Thatz why I agreed to go and give it a shot at Bryan. Waiting, waiting and suddenly I see my grumpy lady from the `h driving office!Oh, quick, hide me..dint work. She had issues with us driving in the same rental car. I gave up, I was in no mood of arguing with her. Well, I need to be benevolent. So, waited for my friend to take the test on that car..he could and don't even get me started on this one.
Wait, wait..he was calling. Oh?huh?are you serious?wait..coming. And guess what? Our battery was down..I was in splits by now. The state trooper pitied us and jump started our car. I am sure the car was chuckling its belly away..she behaved pretty well on the quick drive. Left her running and while I checked for another slot for myself with the agent. Oh, yeah right, I forgot to tell you, she just told me that even my friend can't take the test in this car, as it misbehaved in the first place. Hmm..well, let me alteast get to my presentation. I was totally amazed at how calm I was during the entire ordeal. I actually started humming some of my favorite tunes.
After my presentation, I thot I would give one more shot at this thing. #l offered me a ride, but she had another appointment first. Okay, wait wait..more wait and oh no, slight delay. We still wanted to make it..drove drove, oh no, wrong turn, but okay, still persistent. Reached the office 5 mins late..greeted with "sorry, you have missed your appointment. I have no other open slot for today." By now, I had forgotten that I could have gotten upset at such situations. I took it in as normal as you kow, this writing and said, "can I call on monday and come back?". "No, come to our office, check, you may have a slot".
And what do you think?I would go on monday?

No comments: