Thursday, August 03, 2006

Vegetarian food and Lunch Meetings

What is with this deal of inviting you for a lunch meeting and making absolutely no accomodation to your dietary needs? I have been into more than one business meeting where they specifically schedule it during lunch and have gazillion options of meat to eat. I mean, seriously, you snatch away the only hour I have during the work day to relax a bit. And on top of that, you serve me food I really can't touch. What sense does that make?
With more and more people choosing to be vegetarian when presented with a choice, I simply dont understand how one can be completely oblivious to this way of life. So there I am, sitting in a meeting, in a time that I am totally against meetings, and with everyone around me munching their food while I type out this blog. :). I am not saying you need to get a list of likes and dislikes in food from everyone attending the meeting before you order food. But atleast when you think about ordering 3 turkey, 3 chicken, 3 ham sandwiches, you can afford to think of adding couple of vegetarian in the list.
Usually, when I go to a completely and strictly meat place, I have a choice of salads which I turn into an entree too. The irony of this situation is that even the salads (all of them..I mean, each and every one of them) had chicken or tuna in it. And it is not everyone who is comfortable "picking" the pieces of meat out of the salad and considering it veggie and happily consuming it down.
One of the nicer women in the group offered me cookies for lunch, but for some sane reason, I was not in a mood for cookies.
I am beginning to wonder if my repulsion to the whole idea is the lack of vegetarian food or the whole concept of "lunch meetings". For me, lunch is one hour where I try to slip away and do something that I enjoy. I might not be even hungy, but I like to just get out of my desk. I like to the cafe and watch people. It is very interesting to observe people walking in to the cafe, analysing the different options they have, some impatience while waiting for the food. I enjoy the chit chat with my colleagues, giggle or laugh about the insanities in life/work, discuss politics (world or work) and in general, it is my personal hour in a work day. Stealing that hour away makes me very uncomfortable and I doubt if my mind works as sharp as it should for a meeting. :).
May be it is the "french side" of me, but I am just not happy with the whole concept!

2 comments:

Simba said...

Hey, I am totally with you on this. With travel + Consulting, it gets dangerous i guess! So it gets even more bugging when veggie goodies some how seems to be missing at any meeting anywhere..to think of it..i in fact did have a can of soda and crackers with cheese during a meeting which stretched thru lunch at work! felt like Tom Hanks from Krakochia in The Terminal..lol

Amrutha Ragavan said...

-> Simba: I so hear it Simba. This kind of meal can leave serious issues in your stomach!