Tuesday, May 31, 2005

A 'non' to Liberte?

The French's reply to the EU constitution has been very disturbing. While the ROW cries out against the French, I really wonder why the French chose to behave the way they did. I am not sure if we can shake our fist against them as the NON was about 50 odd % which means the scales could have tilted the other way too, if more OUI people had turned up for voting. The response came as a pretty big surprise to me as when I was in France, I noticed how much interest an average French shows in politics. Last summer there were elections for EU heads, and the French showed good amount of enthusiasm for the same. I always felt France and Germany played very important roles in keeping the EU together and working towards a new super power. (Of course, Germany had trouble with keeping its inflation under control in the past and holding on to the Euro as their currency). What worries me now is the performance of the Euro, although reports say that the EMU (European Monetary Union) would function independent of EU. As we wait for the Dutch to reply to the EU constitution, I just hope that they too do not turn it down. I know that the French are not great propounders of globalization. While talking to them, it felt as though they were more anti-gross US brands, rather than globalization. EU would have been a brilliant reply to the otherwise super power. The recent performance of Euro against the Dollar was a good indication that the idea of EU was finally picking up momentum.

I was hoping that the EU idea would succeed(I am not saying that it has already failed, something that I personally dread) and tickle leaders of Asian countries to think of a coalition comme ca. The recent performance of China and India in the global market is one big reason for such a thought.
more on this soon..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dutch ditched u