Monday, July 11, 2005

Am I reading too much?

I always felt some kind of link with France, with Paris, with French, the language, the people, food..and I get signs everywhere, I am not joking when I say this. Just few things that I remember (from the bunch of other signs that I got):
1. I accepted offer with a company that is headquartered in Paris, France. When asked for locational preference, guess what my choice was. My recruiter gave me a smug and asked me to try this preference in about a year. (Shh..I am still hoping)
2. I jump into the flight to land up in Dallas for my first day with the company. I was so lost in my thots I dint hear the gentleman next to me say something. Don't ask me why, but I still say "Pardon" instead of a normal "excuse me" or "I am sorry". No guesses..yes, he was french. Had worked for my company some years ago.
3. I take the cab to my first project, no guesses, to cut long story short..cab man french, family in france..talked abt just yeah..france
4. Scene cut to SFO. Looking for some place to eat on a strange saturday afternoon..couldn't find regular places to eat. Just stopped by a bakery, well yes, french:Boudin or Boudini. I was told that the girl behind the counter is a cute one, but nah, dint see her. Instead met this lady, well yes, from france. Pleasantaries..ah oui, en francais..eh bon, a happy meal for me.
5. Watching this TV series for the first time ever. Have hrd abt it a lot, never sat down and watched it. Dropped my bag, flicked the tv on and the story line is simple: Girl goes out with a boy who is an artist. No questions, simply strange..guy asks girl to move with him to Paris! Yes, Paris..describes Paris in detail..the petite avenues, grands boulevards, quiet/noisy cafes..She is confused..has her life in NYC. But what are we talking abt here..Paris! she has to say a yes! That makes it a nice serial, doesn't it? But hey! why screen this episode now?
But I guess, this are the things that I remember, besides scores of other signs, prolly too inane to mention them or so inane that I just see them and smile and forget..oh, like when I was travelling between NJ and NYC, I had french people around me, people reading 'Places to Visit in Paris', 'Quick book of French' and so on..
What is with me?

8 comments:

Sriram said...

Didnt u stay in French quarters?? Se thers a 'French Connection' right there... So your job involved lot of touring is it? That must be lot of fun.

Ram said...

whenever u goto McD, all u eat is French Fries and when u think of a hot beverage, it's French Vanilla! You dont follow Formula 1 and incidentally there are no French drivers this year and your favorite tennis player is Mauresmo, who happens to be from France! Right?

kidding ;)...nice blog u got there...

Amrutha Ragavan said...

ok thatz it! I am moving to france. It is 6.15 in the morning, I flipped channels and stopped at HBO, for no specific reason...and guess what? a french-english movie!!!! This is ..hmm.

Anonymous said...

Guess, a French kiss is all that you are missing!

happened to be vetti - found your blog - have plans of coming down to Dallas some time - shall call you then - hopefully you haven't changed your phone number - hope all is well.

from a friend in TAMU

Sriram said...

I am still waiting to see the Indian turned French loyalist's comments over the French Kiss ;-o)
or Was it not Freedom Kiss as claimed by Americans? So if they call it freedom kiss, does it mean everybody has the freedom to kiss everybody else whether the other person likes it or not and get away with it? Kinda wierd and total timepass arguement. Comments are welcome though.

Sriram said...

Sorry the whole freedom stuff for french was just a joke. It all started with renaming of french fries as freedom fries and then later a joke was floating around for renaming french kiss to freedom kis too.

Amrutha Ragavan said...

Still wondering..Freedom kiss..new and interesting concept. Wonder what would be the boundaries though. If one takes the freedom of kiss, it shouldn't infringe the other's freedom of !kiss :).

Amrutha Ragavan said...

Ok, thatz it again! Another innocous Wednesday, I go about my work. Unwind in the evening with some TV pgm and guess what? The girl is upset, coz her boyfriend is away..no guesses, he is in PARIS! dang!