Wednesday, February 23, 2005

crystal ball

I received this link as a comment to my note on Google
A very interesting blog, gives a quick review of the start of Internet (yes! surprise!surprise, the WorldWideWeb was a European venture and not an American, like the row blvs).
Well,the point is, I happily read on till 2005. Then from somewhere within me, I felt a force that stopped me from reading on. I finally realized I am anti-crystal ball :). Huh??..yes!Well, it is not that I don't want to know what my future, just that I feel it would take out the thrill of existence. I would speculate, as an economist(not completely though), I would make my proves, predict market behavior, yada yada. But I would never want to know EXACTLY what would happen. The element of surprise/shock is lost, there is no incentive to live. Forgive me, I did not mean to sound as if the only incentive to live is to know what would happen tomorrow, but yes, the element of mystery is what makes life so interesting/boring. I wonder what would happen if we all knew EXACTLY what was going to happen. There would be no hope, then I guess no perseverance, either complete morality/immorality, no dilemmas, no counselors. Would there be the course optimization(because would we have alternatives?)
I am still intrigued by those who can predict future, sometimes look up on Y! astrology (well, true, they mostly talk abt topics that have binary results like money: u either make or loose, romance: u either have it or not). Even in this case, there is a percentage of failure, as whatever they have mentioned is a possibility and not a fact. But if future was EXACTLY known, dah, I wouldn't be writing this blog.
Often times when I wish I knew what would happen, may be I should remind myself how boring life would get if I already knew and saw my future.

No comments: