Tuesday, February 08, 2005

I think it is the people

It is Career Fair Spring 2005, here in Mays Business School. Scores of companies have put booths, company representatives walk in looking crisp early in the morning( as early as 7.00 am). Anxious students give their smartest look and put their best foot forward. I have enjoyed Career Fairs for 3 semesters now. My first two were not the best I could have had. So, I did something different last sem, hosted a company. It was a wonderful and different experience. Met the company representatives who seemed so warm and friendly. I was surprisingly silent at the breakfast (reminding myself of that one particular scene from F.R.I.E.N.D.S where we hear Ross' thoughts, just after he tried kissing his cousin :). I did not, definitely not that morning, get into any kind of situation like that, so just shut up). Met them a couple of times during the day, reminded them about the free massages (poor people, standing all day and talking to students!) yada yada..when I felt comfy, pulled out my resume. And the rest is fairy tale. This company was the most warm one I have ever known, it is probably their size I thought. Rigorous rounds of interviews, multiple formal dinners, great guidance and support from the people. Finally, made it! got the offer, but couldn't take it. This is where the twist is. I met this company reps today again, a semester later, at the career fair. This morning, I quickly stopped to say hi and they seemed busy. I knew they were probably not too happy. But just now, I stopped again, to meet them more leisurely, and wow!they were genuinely disappointed that I had turned down their offer. Karen, who was my guide and point of contact, meant it when she said she was disappointed. I could see it when I spoke to John. And these guys are pretty big in the IT dept! I felt a pinch of guilt, coz, the only difference the other offer made was better green bills. A little more of green bills. I am not sure if I would meet people like them, if I would be as happy as them to go to work, but I just hope it would be so. :). Karen says just when I said goodbye:"Anytime you are moving to Austin, just send me an email and we will see you again :)". John says: "Stay out of trouble, we will see you again, after may be two years!". Never did I expect this! With people like this, it is no wonder this company is ranked for the 6 consecutive time as one of the best employers to work for (Fortune 100). In all, I finally realized, it is not organization, its policies, its balance sheets, market cap...it is the people.

No comments: